Church of All Saints, Tilney All Saints
Beautiful Grade I Listed ‘Marshland Gem’ with double hammer-beam roof with Angels and impressive Norman arcade in nave. Jacobean chancel screen and 15C choir stalls. Peaceful atmosphere.
Church of All Saints, Walsoken
Described by Pevsner as ‘the grandest Norman Parish Church in Norfolk.’ Has Norman nave arcade, seven sacrament font, C15 wall painting and angel roof and medieval carved poppy head pew ends.
Church of St Germans, Wiggenhall St Germans
Church was built between C13 and mid C16. The pew and carvings are a special feature depicting the Deadly Sins and screens from the Life of St Germanus.
Church of St John the Baptist, Terrington St John
This church has been a place of prayer and worship for nearly 600 years and it is hoped that visitors will enjoy the tranquil atmosphere. The present Church was begun in 1423 to replace two earlier buildings, one of which was dedicated to St James. It is assumed that the present site of the church was formerly known by this name and possibly refers to a pilgrim cross marking the route to the Shrine at Walsingham.
Church of St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen
The church has a weeping cancel also rare collection of medieval stained glass. There are four paintings from original Rood Screen.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, West Walton
Unusually for English Parish churches, the campanile at West Walton stands 64ft to the south of the church. It was built in its entirety in about 1250, after completion of the main body of the church and is one of the most elegant and accomplished early Gothic structures in England. The tower has recently been restored by The Churches Conservation Trust. It contains the original 13th century bell-frame and five bells that are no longer rung because of the decayed state of the timber that supports them.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall
St Mary stands in a watery landscape next to an orchard by the River Ouse. Green stained glass casts light on row upon row of carved benches, featuring lively little wooden saints and figures in amazingly detailed dress. The font cover, too, is a fine piece of carving, dating from the Jacobean period.
Church of St Peter & St Paul, Walpole St Peter
Walpole St. Peter's Church is simply a fenland village parish church, but its beauty has so stunned visitors that it has been called the Queen of the Marshlands and Cathedral of The Fens.
Church of Terrington St Clement
The Parish Church of Terrington Saint Clement that you see today is probably the third church building upon this site - although a Saxon fragment is embedded near the floor to the left of the high altar.