Basilica of Our Lady of Walsingham (Slipper Chapel)
Built in the mid-14th century, and dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, this chapel served pilgrims on their way to England’s Nazareth. Saint Catherine was the patron saint of pilgrims to the Holy Land and her knights kept open the road to Nazareth during the Crusades.
Chapel of St Seraphim, Little Walsingham
The Chapel has been open to visitors daily since 1967. Styled on the Byzantine model with icons, an icon screen, tower and onion dome, the Orthodox Christian Chapel until 2009 had an iconographer. In 2019 we are opening a Gallery to the public, displaying icons and including the railway history, and pilgrimage by train.
Church of St Giles, Houghton St Giles
The church of Saint Giles was rebuilt by William Eden Nesfield in 1877 and much of the building materials for the new church were re-cycled from an older church on the site. Fine medieval rood screen and Victorian stained glass windows.
Church of St Mary & All Saints, Little Walsingham
Fire gutted the church on 14th July 1961. Only the extreme west end was spared, that is the tower, the south porch and the font. Such extreme heat causes the limestone to turn pink and discolouring will be detected on the font and the rood loft stairs.
Church of St Peter, Great Walsingham
The church was virtually all built in the late 14th century. Despite the destruction of the chancel leaving a somewhat truncated east end it remains a very attractive building. Of particular importance are both the arch braced roof and a complete set of 15th century benches, the latter of which are a rarity in Norfolk.
The Church of the Holy Transfiguration, Great Walsingham
Visitors may be struck by the many ikons (images) in the church and by the screen across the church (ikonostasis) on which the main ikons are to be found and which divides the altar area from the main body of the church. Ikons feature in all Orthodox churches.
The Shrine of Our Lady Walsingham
The place of pilgrimage since 1061, the Shrine church contains the Holy House, calling to the mind place of the Annunciation of St Mary.
A place of pilgrimage since the 11th century, visitors can enjoy the tranquil gardens and, over the ancient packhorse bridge, the river and woodland walks lead into unspoilt woods and parkland famous for spectacular snowdrops in early spring.